Saturday, 6 July 2013

Esme Top Completed!

That's it!  I have finally completed my first ever wearable garment!  Woohoooooo!

I managed to squeeze in some sewing time over the last week, mainly in the evenings when all the little darlings were asleep.  I did occasionally manage to sneak a little extra in after school (between making dinner, feeding an infant and doing the bedtime routine!) and at these times had a little helper:

Chief pin sorter!
She's keen to get involved, and we're thinking of starting a little project together soon - perhaps a pinny or a little skirt.   I wish I'd started sewing from a young age!  I'm sure my mum would have gladly shown me how (she sewed all the time when I was a kid) but I think I was probably a little too impatient in those days!

Anyway, back to the Esme Top.  In the end I cut the pattern out in a size 8 as I'd read that it comes up big, and I'm certainly glad I didn't go any bigger.  It's quite an airy, blousey top which will be lovely and cool for summer wear.  I love the bib detail on the front, and the sleeves are wonderful!  I'm really pleased with how it went together, and for a first attempt I don't think I did too badly.  I'm sure I'll be able to pick holes in it later once I have more experience, and it's not that tidy inside, but for now I am very happy with it.  

I'm really pleased with how it went together, and for a first attempt I don't think I did too badly.  I made a couple of mistakes in the initial cutting out which I will chalk up to experience but I had plenty of fabric so I was able to resolve these without difficulty.  I did make one glaringly obvious error when I chose to use a biro to mark my gather lines thinking that the end result would be hidden in the seam allowance - doh! 

I'm hoping this will come out in the wash, but I intend to wear it in the meantime anyway - after all, I made it dammit!

Celebrating with a Pimms!

 Happy weekend y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.