Tuesday 8 January 2013

Granny Squares




At some point during the early part of this pregnancy whilst in a bookshop I decided it would be a good idea to teach myself how to crochet.  It might've just been the hormones, although I seem to remember that Waterstones had a particularly attractive display of crafting books out right next to the coffee shop (that always does it!).  So I duly treated myself to a book - cute & easy crochet  - (I didn't feel adventurous enough for The Happy Hooker), bought a selection of ice-cream coloured yarns and set to work on the easiest project, which of course had to involve granny squares!

I like crochet - it's really portable, and with a simple and repetitive pattern like this I found it a fantastic craft to take along to the kids' ballet and gymnastic classes, where I wanted to have something productive to do to pass the time, but over which I could still chat to people and not feel anti-social.  I think I averaged two or three squares per class, so I now have 48 lovely (but messy) squares (I'm now regretting that I didn't take the author's advice to weave in the ends after finishing each square - doh!).  Not the 432 that the original pattern called for (!) but enough for a small pram blanket.  I don't think I have the stamina to make it any bigger, although I guess I could add to it over time.

Now just got to work out how to bring it all together.  With 5 weeks to go I best get on with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.